CENTENARY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH (1918)
122 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
The Methodist congregation was organized in Quincy in 1829. The present structure was built in 1918 and remodeled in 1976. The stained glass windows are the crowning glory of this beautiful sanctuary. Of particular significance and beauty is the signed Tiffany, the middle window on the north side (Franklin Street). Louis C. Tiffany (1842 -1933) used the painting by Williams Holman Hunt (1827-1910), “The Light of the World” for his inspiration. Christ is knocking at the door of the human heart. The door must be opened from within but there is no latchstring to be seen from outside. Tiffany achieved his lustrous, iridescent surfaces by varying the thickness of the glass. The stained glass collection of Centenary is one of the most outstanding in Florida.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (1923)
310 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
This was the “Village Church” that grew out of the Philadelphia Presbyterian Church in 1833. The original church was organized in 1828 five miles to the north. The first Quincy building was erected in 1845 and served until 1923 when the present building was constructed. In 1960, the Fellowship Hall and educational building were completed, and in 1970, the Sanctuary building was remodeled.
ST. PAUL’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH (1892)
10 West King Street, Quincy Florida
Quincy’s oldest church building, St. Paul’s parish was organized and its vestry elected on December 1, 1838. The first church structure was erected on this site in 1839. During the Civil War, the church served as one of the hospital locations for the Confederate Army. The second church building, today’s present structure, was erected in 1892, enlarged in 1914, remodeled in 1928, and enlarged again with a cloister and parish hall in 1951. This beautiful church has lovely stained glass windows. The Resurrection window, which is NOT stained glass but painted and then fired to make it more realistic, is of special interest and beauty. This window is irreplaceable since this method is no longer used. The window features the images of Mary, Mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene and Mary, Mother of James, meeting an angel at the empty tomb. The crown of thorns and the shroud are shown in the tomb. It is considered one of the most dramatic figure windows in the region.
NEW REVELATION CHURCH OF CHRIST
407 North Adams Street, Quincy Florida
The north section of this building was originally a Catholic chapel built soon after a mission was established in 1909. It was closed in 1935 for lack of support. The Church of Christ acquired the property and extended the building on the south side. This building became a gallery for Gadsden Arts, Inc. when a new church was built on Washington Street. The New Revelation Church of Christ bought the building after Gadsden Arts acquired the Bell and Bates building on Madison Street.
ARNETT CHAPEL AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH (1898-99)
209 S. Duval Street, Quincy Florida
The original Arnett Chapel was constructed in 1898-99, but the Church was founded in 1866 making this the oldest surviving African American church in present day Gadsden County. Colorful art glass windows add to the beauty of this historical church. The Romanesque Revival style building was named for the Rev. Benjamin W. Arnett, the Presiding A.M.E. Bishop in Florida from 1888-92.