For many visitors to Torreya State Park, the focal point is the Gregory House, a beautiful Southern mansion built in 1849 by Jason Gregory, a prominent planter of the time. The home originally stood across the river from the state park at Ocheesee Landing, but was moved to Torreya and restored during the 1930's. This is a must see, and great tours are available.
328 East 8th Street
The Dezell House was built in 1912 by James A. And Margaret Leila Maggie Shepard Dezell. This house, with its Prairie Style architecture and Arts and Crafts features, was their family home for 46 years. James A. Dezell (1867-1937) was born in Chicago, moving from southwestern Missouri to Gadsden County in 1886. James and Maggie, a Gadsden County native, married on September 13, 1893. Between 1894 and 1903, they had three sons and two daughters. James and his father, Samuel A. Dezell, were builders. They constructed the Samuel Dezell family house in Mt. Pleasant in 1886. James A Dezell was the first mayor of the town of Greensboro, serving several terms following the first organizational meeting on August 13, 1908. The most distinctive aspects of the Dezell House construction is its closeness to the ground rather than sitting on piers, fine craftsmanship, and windows set in dormers that crown the roofline on each main roof slope and provide light for a skylight in the entry hall.
PAT MUNROE HOUSE – QUINCY GARDEN CENTER (1893)
204 East Jefferson Street
Mark Welch "Mr. Pat" Munroe built the Pat Munroe House for his first wife, Edith Adelaide Walker, in 1893. The couple had 10 children before her death in 1896. "Mr. Pat" later married Mary Frances Gray in 1912. Eight children were born from this union. "Mr. Pat" was the son of William Munroe, an immigrant from Inverness, Scotland. Serving for 50 years as president of the Quincy State Bank, "Mr. Pat" was regarded as a prominent and respected businessman. His family occupied the house until 1972 after which John Welch Bates, a grandson of "Mr. Pat," purchased the home from the estate of Mary G. Munroe. The home was then donated to the City of Quincy. The Quincy Garden Club has leased the home since that time. The Pat Munroe House is built of heart pine in an unadorned Victorian style. Notable features of the house include stained glass windows, sculptured mantels, and plaster ceiling medallions. The basic structure of the house has not changed since 1893. The grounds, however, have gone from a farm-like atmosphere with chickens, a cow, and vegetable garden, to a well-landscaped area with camellias, azaleas, and other plants of interest.
MCFARLIN HOUSE INN and BREAKFAST MCFARLIN-LESTER HOUSE (1895)
305 East King Street, Quincy Florida
John Lee McFarlin built this stately Victorian house at the height of his career as a prominent tobacco planter who helped develop the shade tobacco process. The property was purchased in 1942 by Dickson Lester who was associated with American Sumatra Tobacco Company. In 1994, the Fauble family acquired the house, and three generations of family restored this beautiful old home. The house is noted for its carefully selected curly pine wood paneling. The double entrance doors have beveled leaded glass insets and transom. Light filters into the entrance stair hall from the second and third floors by the way of the turret. Several stained glass windows are visible from the living rooms.
J.E.A. DAVIDSON-C.W. THOMAS HOUSE (1859)
306 King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by J.E.A Davidson who served as a state senator for Gadsden County in 1868. The semi-circular porch, added in 1890, is supported by six Corinthian columns. Charles W. Thomas purchased the home in 1926. He and his son, Charles, operated a large lumber mill, grew shade tobacco and raised livestock on their extensive land holdings. Thomas Memorial Baptist Church is Thomas's gift to the Quincy congregation.
UNDERHILL-WEDELES HOUSE (1905)
318 East King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was constructed in 1905 by G.M. Underhill. It was purchased later by Max Wedeles who was a member of the first and largest family in the shade tobacco industry in Gadsden County. A member of the Wedeles family still lives in the house.
OLD PRESBYTERIAN MANSE (1870)
313 North Corry Street
This house was built for R.H.M. Davidson and served as the Presbyterian Manse. It was home of the George W. Munroe family for several decades. Munroe was a prominent business man and a farmer. George W. Munroe Elementary School honors his services to education as a member of the Gadsden County School Board.
GARDNER-MCCALL HOUSE (1928-31)
235 East King Street, Quincy Florida
Designed by Alvin Roger Moore A.I.A. of Tallahassee, and built by Albritton-Williams for Ignatz Gardner, this Spanish-style architecture is unique in Quincy but typical of Florida in the 1920s. Gardner, a native of Prague, Czechoslovakia, came to Quincy from Minneapolis with the development of the shade tobacco industry prior to 1900. He served as president of Max Wedeles's Tobacco Company. Francis McCall purchased the home in 1954. J. Leon Hoffman, a landscaped engineer from Houston, Texas, designed the grounds which included exterior lighting and in the back garden a gold fish pool.
GEORGE-DISMUKES MUNROE-DICKERSON HOUSE (1898)
243 East King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by George D. Munroe, the brother of Pat Munroe, and a founder of the Quincy State Bank. He was active in the operation of the bank until his death in 1917. This Victorian house exemplifies the woodwork, exterior trim and beautiful stained glass windows of that era. The oval window on the second floor and the three windows of the first floor bay are attractive examples of late 1800s Victorian leaded stained glass.
C.R. SHAW HOUSE (1840-1844)
222 East King Street, Quincy Florida
The original house was a simple two-story residence built by Arthur Foreman who was one of the first businessmen to ship tobacco abroad before the Civil War. C.R. Shaw added the wings, square Doric columns and leaded glass doors. Shaw was a prominent planter and packer of tobacco. His C.R. Shaw Ford Motor Company was one of the early automobile agencies in Quincy.
J.L. DAVIDSON-SUBER HOUSE (1914)
118 East King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by W.C. Cooper for James L. Davidson and his wife, Bessie Munroe Davidson in 1914. The beautiful oak tree in front is one of Quincy's oldest trees. Judge P. W. White and Native American children played around the tree according to traditional stories.
211 North Duval Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built for Isaac R. Harris, Quincy's first mayor and later purchased by William Munroe in the 1850s. It was originally one and a half stories with dormers. There was a major renovation on the house in the 1890s. One of William Munroe's 21 children was Mark W. "Mr. Pat" Munroe. Six of "Mr. Pat's" children were born in this house, and he was living here in 1894 while constructing his house down the street. His new house became known as the Pat Munroe House and the Quincy Garden Center. For nearly 50 years, he was president of the Quincy State Bank, Florida's first chartered state bank. In 1913, the house was purchased by William LeRoy MacGowan, who moved to Quincy from Warren, Pennsylvania to develop the Fuller's Earth industry. He was instrumental in organizing the Floridian Company which remained one of the area's leading and stable industries. In 1997, the company became a part of the international Engelhard Corporation. Today the mine is owned by BASF. MacGowan altered the house making it a two-story dwelling with a wrap–around porch and an attached kitchen.
K.A. MACGOWAN HOUSE (1884)
203 North Duval Street, Quincy Florida
This charming house was the one room dental office of Dr. Bob Munroe. A "borrowed" kitchen plus several additions and improvements through the years have been made. A brick wall encloses the garden in the rear.
STOCKTON-CURRY HOUSE (1842)
121 North Duval Street, Quincy Florida
The house was purchased from its original owner, Isaac Harris, by Phillip A. Stockton. Stockton came to Florida from Pennsylvania with his brother, William, to set up and supervise a line of mail coaches running between St. Augustine and Mobile. They were originally located in Marianna, but moved to Quincy in the early 1840s where Phillip established a law practice. The house passed to his daughter, Martha Stockton Broome. In 1902, the house was purchased by the C.H. Curry family. Curry and his son, Horace were both prominent in management in the shade tobacco industry. Four generations of the Curry family have lived here. The house is an excellent example of surviving antebellum classic revival architecture.
LINES, HINSON, AND LINES CENTENARY CHURCH PARSONAGE (1889)
J. M. GRIFFIN HOUSE
121 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
This building was originally built as the Methodist parsonage. In 1904, it was remodeled into its present Victorian style after a move across the street to its present location. For many years, it was the family home of J.M. Griffin whose two sons were Quincy physicians. It now serves as the Law Offices of Lines, Hinson, and Lines.
E. B. SHELFER HOUSE (1903)
205 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by E. B. Shelfer, Sr., a prominent shade tobacco producer and businessman, whose general mercantile store was located on the square at the southeast corner of Washington and Madison Streets. In 1993, the house was beautifully restored with several artistic additions. The semi-octagonal extension on the back and the enhanced entrance and circular driveway on the Franklin Street side add charm to the dwelling. Beautiful contemporary stained glass windows add artistic interest to the overall appearance. A Victorian garden with fountains, pool and gazebo surround the house, now owned by the grand-daughter of the original owner.
ALLISON HOUSE INN BED AND BREAKFAST A.K. ALLISON HOUSE (1843)
216 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
In its original state, this house was the home of General A.K. Allison, a soldier and lawyer. In 1842, he was one of the groups who prepared a resolution requesting statehood for Florida. Allison served in the Territorial Legislature, was a representative from Gadsden County (1845-1862), Speaker of the House (1852) and President of the Senate (1864-1868). When Governor Milton committed suicide, Allison became governor just before General Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. Allison traveled to Washington to secure Florida's status as a state and was imprisoned for "treason." He was released after six months and returned to Quincy where he practiced law until his death in 1893. The original house (current second floor) was built in the classic revival style with a Georgian double parlor floor plan. In 1925, it was significantly altered by raising it on tall brick pilings and enclosing space under the house to create an apartment, office space, and incorporated the front porch into the house. It now bears little resemblance to the original house in appearance. Stuart and Eileen Johnson operate the Allison House Inn Bed and Breakfast.
THE GATHERING WOODBERY-BLITCH HOUSE
S.W. Corner of King and Adams Street, Quincy Florida
The Woodbery-Blitch House (circa 1890) and the Morgan Oliver House at 208 North Adams Street were originally located here. William and Linda Ventry purchased the Woodbery-Blitch House and the adjoining property in 1998. Additionally, three circa 1900 houses from other areas of town, including the Hollingsworth House, were relocated to this corner and renovated in the Coastal Victorian style by the Ventrys. All five were enclosed with a white picket fence and brick walkways lead visitors from one building to another. The Gadsden County Chamber of Commerce, TCC Quincy House, Main Street Design, Inc. and Joel Sampson, Architect now occupy the pastel houses. The Ventry Construction office is housed at the newest renovation location at 1127 West King Street.
339 North Jackson House, Quincy Florida
W. A. White was contracted to build this house for F.P. May, Sr. and his wife, Anna Mary Stockton in 1893. This house was White's first job in Quincy, and the F.P. May Drug Company Building in 1910 was his last. May was a businessman who joined a building and loan association with W. M. Corry. F.P. May, Jr. and wife, Abbie Munroe May came to live here after the house was deeded to them upon the death of May, Sr. in 1936. Edwin and Betty May Embry moved here in 1958 and lived there they moved to Walton County in 1982.
STOCKTON-MALONE HOUSE (1849)
326 North Adams Street, Quincy Florida
The Stockton-Malone House was built by Colonel William Tennent Stockton. Stockton was a graduate of West Point and a hero and lieutenant colonel of the Confederate Calvary during the Civil War. The house is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture with its perfect symmetry. The wings were added in the 1870s. The house remains in the Malone family.
R.K. SHAW-EMBRY HOUSE (1895)
404 North Adams Street, Quincy Florida
Built by Roderick K. Shaw, a shade tobacco planter and life insurance agent, the house was later sold to E.B. Embry, who came from Kentucky and organized the Embry Tobacco Company. The R.K. Shaw-Embry House is an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture with its "picturesque massing of a variety of shapes and textures in a non-symmetrical composition." The decorative brackets, spindle work on gable and scalloped shingles on the roof are of notable significance. In 1998, Mary Alice and Carson Dyal completed an elegant restoration of this lovely house. An addition on the back contains a studio and garage. The house is now owned by Richard and Lynne Greco.
M.A. LOVE HOUSE (1906)
336 North Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by William Carr for Meade Love. It is virtually unchanged in exterior appearance, and until recently, was owned by a member of the Love family. Meade, his brother "Rabe", and brother-inlaw A. T. Hearin operated Love and Hearin, a wholesale and retail business. Kenan Fishburne and Stephen Treacy are the present owners.
HENTZ-MUNROE-CAMPBELL HOUSE (1890)
320 North Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by Dr. Charles A. Hentz as a two-story simple frame with front porches on both floors. Hentz's son, Hal, who grew up here and later became a prominent Atlanta architect, designed the Gadsden County Court House and Centenary United Methodist Church. In 1910, the house was radically remodeled and enlarged by Albert Munroe after a fire. The second story porch was taken off, and a side sleeping porch was added. Nellie Munroe lived here until the late 1950s when it was sold to Queen Campbell. Greg Thompson also owned this house at one time.
JONES-LINES-MUNROE HOUSE (1854)
313 North Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
Nathaniel Ziegler, a Gadsden County planter, built this house in 1854 for his daughter Rebecca Ann. She married Robert F. Jones who was the Clerk of the County Court for many years. The house has descended continuously through the maternal line to the present owners, William D. and Sarah Lines Munroe. It is built of hand-hewn beams framed together with wooden pegs and sheathed with clapboard siding. In 1930, the one story portico was removed and replaced with a large shed roof porch.
EDWARD CURRY LOCVE HOUSE (1850)
219 North Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
Construction date is unclear. Research indicates that a house stood on this location as early as 1831-32. Around 1850, either a new house was built or the old one underwent major alterations. Roderick K. Shaw, an early settler and planter who served in the Territorial Legislature, was an early resident. He, his wife, and infant son died within a week of each other in 1852 during a yellow fever epidemic. William E. Kilcrease, a large plantation owner, and his family, also lived here. His son, Albert, who changed his name to Gilchrist, was elected governor of Florida in 1909. Edward Curry Love bought the House in 1874. A planter and lawyer, he also served as a county judge, district judge, state's attorney and mayor of Quincy. After the Civil war he was a leader in restoring the Democratic Party in Florida. Edward Cornelius Love, the oldest son, was a distinguished lawyer. He served as a member of the school board, U.S. District Attorney for the Northern District of Florida and circuit judge for thirty years. Three generations of the Love family lived in this house. Mr. and Mrs. Fountain H. May purchased it in 1974. The house is Classic Georgian with two rooms on each side of a broad central hall. It is significant as an example of a type of house common in the Quincy vicinity prior to the Civil War.
S.B STEPHENS HOUSE (1842-50)
220 Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
Colonel Samuel B. Stephens, a lawyer, came with his family to the Florida Territory from New Bern, NC, circa 1836. He assisted in the writing of Florida's first Constitution and signed the ordinance of secession. The house was originally located in the middle of the block set back from the street, and Stephens's law office was near the sidewalk. Over the years, at least six people owned the house, and it was moved to the northeast corner of the block. In 1975, Mr. and Mrs. William Lester did a major renovation. The porches were removed, and a new front entrance was created. The house is constructed of solid heartwood and includes its original windows and doors.
THOMAS MUNROE-HIGDON HOUSE (1849)
210 West King Street, Quincy Florida
Built by William Croom, the house was purchased in 1850 by Dr. Thomas Munroe. The families of George Dismukes, William Munroe, Robert Cantey, and Buryl Higdon have been connected to residing here. This Classic Revival home is well situated on the lot, and the grounds cover one half of a block. The present owner, John Higdon, accomplished a detailed restoration of this stately home in 1998-99.
MALONE-OWENBY HOUSE (1907)
219 West King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was built by William Carr in 1907 for William B. Malone, the descendant of a pioneer family. Malone operated a drug store on the courthouse square. The unaltered exterior of the house is a good example of Victorian architecture. It is constructed of heart pine and has original glass in the windows. It has two leaded windows in the two story bay, one with beveled glass. The "stained" glass window on the stairs (east side of the house) is designed with opalescent glass.
GIBSON-GIBBS-JONES-BEVIS-WHIDDON HOUSE (1856)
314 West King Street, Quincy Florida
This house was constructed by Eugene Gibson and operated by his wife as a boarding house for many years through the Civil War. During the mid-1870s, Mrs. James G. Gibbs (Mrs. William Kilcrease) purchased the house. She was one of the social leaders of the town and an untiring worker for the Confederacy. After the war, she continued her leadership in the Ladies Aide Society, taking on the project of erecting a proper memorial to the heroes of the war. By 1884, this objective was accomplished. The monument is located on the north side of the court house. The Gibbs family moved to Charleston in 1889, and the house was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Charles Jones, who reared their family there. Mr. and Mrs. Milton Bevis became the owners, and in 1987, restored and enhanced the house and landscape surrounding it.
CAMPBELL-SOLOMON HOUSE (1843)
118 North Calhoun Street, Quincy Florida
The original owner of the house was probably William Campbell who owned it from 1840 to 1860. It is an interesting structure which combines the exterior appearance of a Creole cottage and the interior floor plan similar to Georgian. Other owners include the Loves, Munroes, Dismukes, A.L.Wilson, Sallie W. Morgan and Mrs. E. D. Davis. In the 1970s, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel H. Solomon restored the house to include a lovely brick walled garden in back of the house. The beautiful old oak tree dominates the front garden.
HENRY JEFFERSON DAVIS HOUSE (1892)
LEGAL SERVICES OF NORTH FLORIDA
112 North Jackson Street, Quincy Florida
In 1892, Henry Jefferson Davis, Jr. and his wife left the family farm in Mt. Pleasant and moved into this home he built in Quincy. He became a partner in the general merchandise firm, the A.L. Wilson Company (established in 1881). The original house was a one-story dwelling. The second story was added circa 1906. The house and the A. L. Wilson Co. interest passed to Henry Jefferson Davis, III. The columns were added in the mid-1970s. The house was purchased first as a bed and breakfast, and then for the Legal Services of North Florida after the Davis's deaths.
BELL-WILLIS-WOOD HOUSE (1904)
203 East Jefferson Street, Quincy Florida
This house was purchased by Norman C. Bell, who moved from Climax, Georgia, to join his brother-in-law, Mortimer Bates, in establishing Bell and Bates Hardware. This house became the home of his daughter, Etta who married Lee Willis, the owner of the City Drug Store located at the northeast corner of Jefferson and Madison Streets. Eula, the younger daughter, returned to her family home after the death of her husband, George Pierce Wood, to live with her sister. Beginning in 1993, the house was completely renovated and is lovingly furnished with antiques and other family heirlooms. Old out-buildings, including a servants' house facing Crawford Street, were removed and the entire lot transformed into a beautiful garden. The décor of the house, with many floral arrangements and patterns scattered throughout, and the design of the lovely garden, showcase the current owners' artistic talents and love of nature.
JUDGE P. W. WHITE HOUSE
212 North Madison Street, Quincy Florida
This house was constructed in the early 1840's and was enlarged in 1856 by Woodson White. It was remodeled in the Classical Revival style at that same time, with matching porticos supported by Doric columns giving it a dignified balance. The house has served as the parsonage for Centenary Methodist Church since 1921.